Where the catwalk got its claws, all you fashion know-it-alls With your underground malls in the world of Harajuku Putting on a show, when you dress up in your clothes Wild hair color and cell phones Your accessories are dead on Harajuku Girls you got the wicked style I like the way that you are, I am your biggest fan Harajuku Girls you got the wicked style I like the way that you are, I am your biggest fan

Monday, August 15, 2005

Starvations.

Hannah and I posing with the saleswomen at "Starvations," a trendy little shop that sells t-shirts with the most amazingly random phrases. One of the shirts I bought has a drawing of a squirrel, and underneath it reads: "Stump. The place is his reserved seat. He generally passes daytime there." (?). These sorts of shirts are huge in Japan, though, because English writing is quite fashionable even if they have no idea what they're wearing. The girl next to Hannah, for instance, has no clue her shirt says, "Special bus for special people."

I would say that Japanese youth fashion is a mix between an earthy hipster aesthetic and a 1980s glam-rock fabulocity. Even though this gives way to what appears to be a very individual, expressive style, much of what they wear is merely a thoughtless imitation of the latest fad. For instance, WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?) bracelets are immensely popular here, and many kids wear them merely for the sake of fashion, usually because they have seen basketball players wear them on TV. They would be completely oblivious to its religious connotations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home