Where the catwalk got its claws, all you fashion know-it-alls With your underground malls in the world of Harajuku Putting on a show, when you dress up in your clothes Wild hair color and cell phones Your accessories are dead on Harajuku Girls you got the wicked style I like the way that you are, I am your biggest fan Harajuku Girls you got the wicked style I like the way that you are, I am your biggest fan

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Females Only.

In Japan, there are always two cars on every train reserved for females only. (The pink sign at the top of the photo indicates that the next car over is off limits for men). These are grope-free zones, technically, and were established for the girl or woman who wants to avoid a hand up her panties when rush hour sets in. The fact that it’s completely optional has often made me wonder during my morning and evening commutes what type of woman chooses to place her body in a glass jar such as this. While some may see a car full of self-satisfied modern women, I see a box full of Japanese Quaker Mormons flying by like a witch on a broomstick.

But the gender situation is still fairly rigid here, and while progressive thinking is showing its face, there are a handful of women who enjoy their traditional, subordinate, dominated position. Rumor has it that this mentality manifests itself in their sexual proclivities, but here it manifests itself on an everday level that you can feel everytime you're commuting to work or heading home. I accidentally ran into one of these cars when I was in a rush and not paying attention, and you should've seen the way their fiery eyes dug a hole in my chest. I immediately jumped out and waited for the next train.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think having all-female cars is more a reflection of Japanese men and their attitude toward women. I lived in Japan and got groped and it was a horrifying experience. I'd ride the women only cars and enjoy feeling safe.

6:49 AM

 
Blogger Elliot Greenberger said...

This is completely true, and I didn't mean to make it sound like the women create these problems and mentalities on their own. Clearly this thinking exists mainly because of men's attitudes toward women, but I do think it's interesting the way that some women continue to buy into it. It's also difficult for me to see/understand this dynamic at this point, so these cars are the most concrete reference I have.

7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home